Thursday, September 27, 2012

Baby Brother

Today I was reminded how much I love my brother Nathan. I was in line at McDonalds and bet your thinking "Why would that make you think of Nay?! He loves Whataburger, REMEMBER!" Well, McD's is playing the Monopoly game. I think it was about 3 years ago.. ok, let's be real. It was probably over 10 years ago and we were headed to a family reunion. Of course, my family can't be satisfied with just a weekend to see each other so we meet up early and decided to have a mini-reunion (Even though reunion isn't really the right word. You have to be separated to be reunited!) and wound up at a roadside park. We were playing games and having a great time and, of course, we had massive amounts of coke at our disposal.

Well, Coca Cola was having a game of their own. It was a pop top and you could win lots of prizes. Nathan went over and handed out some cans and cracked one open for himself. We all thought our lives were going to change after that. Natey was yelling at the top of his lungs-
"I WON!! I WON!! I WON A MILLION DOLLARS!!!"
Was he right? Could it be true? We all rushed him to examine the little disc that was under the top of the can and he had won!! Twenty five dollars. It was a let down for sure but boy was it so fun to get so excited about the million dollars. For a 10 year 
old boy though, twenty five buck 
still felt like a whole ton of money.

I had the opportunity to live with Nathan for longer than most of my siblings. He seems like an angry, to himself kinda guy but it totally isn't. I remember telling Mama about my day and how my friends and I had had fun the night before and almost always Nay would come out into the kitchen and ask me what had happened and wanted to know the juicy details. He always said no to whatever I asked him to help me with but before he could get the word out he was almost done with the chore. He would call me before he got home to see if I wanted anything to eat. But most of all I miss hearing him bust-a-gut at the funny things that he was watching or doing. People always choose between being a lover and a fighter but I know that Nathan
 is equal parts of both. I love and miss him so much.



1 comment: