Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Fat Tuesday

Yesterday Sarah and I were decided what to eat for dinner. Cooking would be out of the question so we settled on Chick-Fil-A. When we got there the whole place was decorated for Mardi Gras. I totally forgot that that was today because, while we are from Louisiana, that's not the culture that we take from that state. While standing in line the lady asked us if we would like to help celebrate it with, as Mike Taylor calls them, the-show-em-all beads. Of course we would!!

We ordered our food and we sat at a table. Another lady came by and told us that when we were done eating we could go into the corner of the restaurant and have some King Cake, get our faces painted or make a mask. We did not make any masks because, like most of you know, I think masks are freaky! But I kept being shocked by how everyone there was so friendly and it didn't stop. We got samples of food and bags of candy too.

When I went to get my slice of the King Cake I was really hoping that I would end up with the "baby" or coin they put in it. I am usually lucky when it comes to stuff like that and she even gave me two slices because the first was pretty small but no such luck for me. Sarah believes that there wasn't one in there at all and that I was crazy but I just don't think Sarah knows about the tradition!

While eating I was curious about Mardi Gras and googled some stuff.
Purple represents Justice
Green represents Faith
And Gold represents Power 
Don't pick up the beads from the ground. Its bad luck! 
Masks are worn to help keep the King and Queen of Mardi Gras a secret until it's announced at the festivities.  

Bourbon Street may have had a huge party on Tuesday night but NO ONE had more fun than me and Sarah! And with all the food we ate we have a new idea of what "Fat Tuesday" means!
"Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler"

No comments:

Post a Comment